David Cameron likes to boast that his government has created over a million private sector jobs since 2010.
The Prime Minister has made the claim in the commons during PMQs, and yesterday it was once again made by chairman of the Conservative party Grant Shapps in an article entitled ‘Five simple messages for the doorstep this Christmas‘.
“We are cutting taxes for British businesses, helping to create jobs. Overall, 1.1 million more people are now working compared to the election,” Shapps boasted, accompanying his post with the following graph:
The first thing one notices about the graph is the large jump in private sector jobs seemingly created in April 2012, just short of two years after the coalition came to office. Perhaps on seeing this graph you, like me, were wondering what accounted for this encouraging surge in private sector employment last year. What innovative (and clearly successful) policy did the coalition introduce which created so many jobs so quickly?
They didn’t, is the answer, because the large increase in private sector employment seen in April 2012 was actually nothing of the sort, but rather was due to the reclasification of 196,000 public sector jobs to private sector ones. In reality, just under a fifth of the coalition’s ‘million new jobs’ are actually the result of the reclasification of further education and sixth form college teachers as private sector employees.
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) made this clear last year when it said:
“These educational bodies employed 196,000 people in March 2012 and the reclassification therefore results in a large fall in public sector employment and a corresponding large increase in private sector employment between March and June 2012.”
Claiming the government has created a ‘million new jobs’ relies on a completely dishonest interpretation of the figures. Especially making the same claim repeatedly even after it’s been pointed out as wrong by no less than the ONS.
And this from a party which in opposition regularly accused Labour of twisting the statistics to suit its own agenda.
- Jobless families with more than two children face benefit cut: Tories reveal proposal is ‘highly likely’ to be included in manifesto as part of aims to cut welfare bill (thisismoney.co.uk)
- The Tory sleight of hand over ‘1.1 million more’ private sector jobs (leftfootforward.org)
- Cameron in 2008:”In the 5th richest country in the world homelessness is a DISGRACE!” 2013: Why is he INCREASING homelessness for a mere 2% saving on the HB bill? (sparaszczukster.wordpress.com)
- Iain Duncan Smith: It’s Grant Shapps Fault (welfarenewsservice.com)
Vince Cable supports zero hours contracts
By Telegraph Reporter 10:26PM GMT 18 Dec 2013
Zero hours contracts will not be banned because they offer “welcome flexibility” to some workers, Vince Cable, the Business Secretary, said on Wednesday.
Mr Cable said the contracts had a place in the labour market, though there had been evidence of abuse.
Mr Cable also proposed a 12-week consultation to consider banning companies from imposing “exclusivity contracts” that offer no guarantee of a job and stop staff working for another firm.
Business groups welcomed the announcement but union leaders said the Government was “desperately short on solutions” to curb the use of zero hours contracts, under which people don’t know if they have work from one week to the next.
Mr Cable said: “A growing number of employers and individuals are using zero hour contracts.
- Food bank debate victory was getting it on the agenda – never mind the mocking sneering Tories (mirror.co.uk)
- Watch Iain Duncan Smith SNEAK OUT of food banks debate as Tories LAUGH at stories of starving families (mirror.co.uk)
- Iain Duncan Smith SNEAKS OUT of food banks debate as Tories LAUGH at stories of starving families (welfaretales.wordpress.com)
- Iain Duncan Smith ‘WALKS OUT’ on Food Bank Discussion! (streetdemocracy.wordpress.com)
- Slave #Britain. #Welfare minister tells councils to support food banks (#uk #ids #foodbank) (orderoftruth.wordpress.com)
Almost a third of the disabled people affected by the so-called bedroom tax have had their applications for help with the payments refused by local authorities, a survey has found.
When it brought in the controversial levy on “surplus” bedrooms in council-owned accommodation, the Government said grants known as discretionary housing payments (DHPs) would protect the most vulnerable.
It estimated that around 420,000 disabled people would be affected by the bedroom tax, often because they require additional space for treatment equipment or to provide somewhere for carers to stay.
Yet according to the research from the National Housing Federation, responses from 98 local authorities showed that on average 29 per cent of disabled residents had their requests for a DHP grant turned down.
The survey also highlighted what appears to be a worrying “postcode lottery” of payments. In parts of Kent, the success rate for disabled applicants was just 14 per cent.
Related story: Councils could be banned from using the phrase ‘bedroom tax’
- Disabled people are not exempt from the bedroom tax (twooldchairs.wordpress.com)
- Disabled people are worst affected by bedroom tax and welfare reforms (theguardian.com)
- MPs urge scrapping of ‘bedroom tax’ (brechinadvertiser.co.uk)
- #BedroomTax Of £14 Robs OAP Of Last Wish- To Die At Home (samedifference1.com)
- Disabled people cutting back on food or bills to pay bedroom tax (downnotoutleicester.wordpress.com)
- Government committee calls for bedroom tax to be abolished (24dash.com)
- Disabled in poverty (labourdavid4fromecollege.wordpress.com)
- Bedroom tax and DHPs: when the ‘help’ promised to the disabled fails (differentprinciples.co.uk)