PUBLIC MEETING The first is a public meeting. We from Derby Climate Coalition, with support from Derby 38 Degrees, have set up this meeting:
Fracking in Derbyshire??
Monday, 21 September 2015 at 7:00 PM
St Peters Church, Saint Peter’s Churchyard, Derby
We will discuss
- The economic and environmental consequences of fracking
- The actual plans
- What can we do.
Speakers include Brian Davey, Nigel Lee and Chris Williamson. Members from a number of other organisations are coming.Tea and coffee available.Please come along if you can.
Book a place by using this link: https://you.38degrees.org.uk/events/stop-fracking-in-derbyshire
This government seems hell-bent on promotion fracking for shale gas in Derbyshire.
On August 18th the government announced it would hand out a fresh round of licences giving exclusive rights for gas and other fuel exploration in 27 areas across the country. Two of the 10km by 10km squares of land affected are in Derbyshire. The licence for land between Derby and Long Eaton will go to Warwick Energy. That company has said test drilling could start in 2019. The affected area runs across the East Midlands, as shown below:
The other area includes parts of Amber Valley, such as the countryside around Ironville, Riddings and Somercotes and the licence will be held by Ineos. It is somewhere in that square where the firm says test-drilling could start in 2016 or 2017 with the possibility of “early stages of producing commercial gas by the end of the decade”.
National conference in Sheffield on Sept 19
Organised by the Campaign against Climate Change Trade Union Group in partnership with Sheffield Climate Alliance.
The themes are:
- Time to Act!
- Divest from Fossil Fuels
- Invest in Climate Jobs
- Build the Climate Movement
Saturday, 19 September 2015
11.00 – 16.45, with registration from 10.30
Venue: Sheffield College, Granville Road, Sheffield S2 2RL. Registration fee £10, Concessions £5
- Hear a report back from the major international conference in Paris called by the One Million Climate Jobs campaign and the International TUC.
- Speakers and workshops on the connections between Divestment from Fossil Fuels and Investment in Climate Jobs to create warm, healthy homes, public transport with low fares, and renewable energy infrastructure.
- Build campaigns in the run-up to the United Nations COP21 climate change conference in Paris in December, on Divestment/Reinvestment and against Fracking.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Louise Haigh, MP for Sheffield Heeley
- Asad Rehman, International Campaigner of Friends of the Earth
- Suzanne Jeffery, Chair of Campaign against Climate Change
- Danielle Paffard of 350.org
Use the eventbrite booking link to book your place
or go to: